Sports director Greg King led all the campers in a Bible class on being strong 24/7 this morning:
Joshua 1:1-9: Children of Israel had to wander in the wilderness for 40 years. Joshua led the people, but it wasn’t always an easy task. We encourage others when we tell them to “Be Strong.” God recognized that Joshua was afraid as He told him to be strong three times.
Hebrews 4:14-16: “Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.” We are weak, but the Lord is strong, and it is in Him that we obtain grace and mercy.
II Timothy 1:7: “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”
Don’t just go along with the world. We must stand in the power and might of God. God expects us to be strong in the faith, not timid and shy. Stand out in the world—act differently and dress differently. Ephesians 6:10: “Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of His might.” II Timothy 2:1: “Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.”
God told Joshua three times to be strong and have courage (strength and ability to do something we are afraid to do).
Things the Lord said to Joshua to encourage him to be strong:
- Joshua 1:2,4: God tells Joshua to get up and go. It takes strength to make the right decisions.
- Ephesians 1:3,7: “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blelssings in heavenly places in Christ…In whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of this grace.”
- I Corinthians 15:57: “But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Chrst.”
- In Christ, victory is ours—we can’t lose!
- Don’t choose failure over success spiritually!
- Joshua 1:5: God was with Joshua
- Romans 8:31-39: “If God be for us, who can be against us?…For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
- Don’t allow sin to cripple you or disable you.
- II Timothy 1:8-11: “…our Savior Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.”
- There WILL be difficult decisions that we will all have to make.
- Know and meditate on God’s word.
- II Corinthians 5:7: “For we walk by faith, not by sight.”
- Romans 12:1,2: “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God.”
- Galatians 6:7,8: “Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.”
God’s law must be first and foremost in our lives, 24/7!