Bro. J.R. Bronger of Danville was our guest speaker for Bible class this morning in which he focused on not being caught up in Satan’s lies:
I Corinthians 16:13: “Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong.”
When we leave camp, unfortunately some of us will NOT be strong! It is possible that some will even collapse and fold. What happens between being strong and falling down?
Things that will weaken you and keep you from being strong:
- Believing lies
- II Thessalonians 2:10: “And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.”
- Eve believed a lie—she was deceived (II Corinthians 11:3). Satan caused Eve to look at the Tree of Knowledge of Good & Evil in a different light (Genesis 3:5-7), causing her to believe a lie. Satan told her that God was trying to deprive her from being happy.
- When we believe a lie, chances are good that we will not remain strong in our faith. Believing a lie leads us away from God.
- Lies that we may believe:
- My parents are dumb. When you have this attitude, you stop listening to your parents, you may become rebellious. Ephesians 6:1-3: “Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;) That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.” In Judges 14, Samson was not wise as he didn’t heed his parents’ warning and married a foreign woman.
- When I am on my own, I will do what I want to do—I will have no restrictions, no boundaries. Romans 13:1: “Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers…” Police officers will not accept this excuse. In Luke 15, the prodigal son leaving home and living on his own led to his demise until he returned home. We must be careful who our friends are, where we go, what we do! I Thessalonians 5:5: “Ye are the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.” Sin will reign in our mortal bodies and will not let go (Romans 5:12).
- My identity is determined by what others think about me. If you believe this lie, you will compromise just to be popular. Your identity does NOT depend on what you have, what crowd you run with, what sports you play, how much money you have, etc. I Corinthians 4:3,4: “But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man’s judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self. For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.”
- If I haven’t lost my virginity by now, there’s something wrong with me. Most locker-room talk and girlfriend talks about the opposite gender are lies. II Timothy 2:22: “Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.” I Timothy 5:22: “Lay hands suddently on no man, neither be partaker of other men’s sins: keep thyself pure.” Virginity is not a state of mind—it is a state of purity. I Corinthians 6:18-20 – we are bought with a price, Christ’s blood, and we should glorify God in our bodies.
- I don’t have to change my friends in order to follow Christ. We MUST cut ourselves off from friends that will lead us away from God. Psalm 1:1: “Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, not sitteth in the seat of the scornful.” I Corinthians 15:33: “Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.”
Do NOT believe the lies of the devil! Stand strong and be determined.Website: https://www.midwestsummercamp.com Blog Signup: https://www.midwestsummercamp.com/blog Text Alerts: text "@msc4kids" to "81010" Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/msccamp Instagram: @allthingsmsc