Lime team captain Shannon Shaffer taught the morning Bible classes today, continuing our theme on being a strong influence:
I Corinthians 15:58: “Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.”
- Who: Paul is speaking to the brethren
- How: Stedfastly, unmoveable
- When: Always
- What: Abound in the work of the Lord
- Why: Knowing that your labour is not in vain
BE STRONG in your influence. If you stay away from people, you can’t influence them. Don’t drop your head, stick your hands in your pocket, and ignore everyone. God expects more from His people than just “average.”
Matthew 5:41: “And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.”
Matthew 5:16: “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.”
I Peter 3:15: “But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give the answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear.” Be ready to give an offence to any question for the Lord.
Jesus put forth a lot of effort for us. II Timothy 4:9: “Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began.” Water boils at 212 degrees F, but at 211 degrees, it is not enough to make water boil. 211 degrees causes steam, which can even power a steam engine train. 211 degrees falls short for us – we need to crank up the heat another degree and do great work for the Lord. We “should earnestly contend for the faith” (Jude 3b).
Areas where we can put in an extra degree of effort:
- Work – Colossians 3:22: “Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God.” We should serve heartily. Philemon obeyed, but he had to get back to his service.
- Home – Deuteronomy 6:4-9: “Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes. And thou shalt write them upon the post of thy house, and on thy gates.”
- Service to the Lord
- I Corinthians 15:58: “Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.”
- We need to know the scriptures, we need to know why we practice what we practice. We need to SERVE! Ephesians 4:14-16: “That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into Him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.” Ways to serve the Lord: serve as elder or deacon, teach Bible class, prepare your Bible class lesson, study, etc.
Be strong in your service. Pick something to do today to turn up your degree of influence. Be a 212 degree influence, not just 211 degrees!Website: https://www.midwestsummercamp.com Blog Signup: https://www.midwestsummercamp.com/blog Text Alerts: text "@msc4kids" to "81010" Email: email@example.com Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/msccamp Instagram: @allthingsmsc